Monday, June 15, 2009

Thing #4

How many times do we try to get struggling readers interested in reading? I read Mark's Edtich Blog about his third grade students sustained silent reading and what they were reading during this time. They weren't reading chapter books, they were on the internet reading blogs written by students and teachers. They were much more engaged in learning. Mark saw them wanting to read more and respond to what they were reading. Wow, what a great idea!

One of the other blogs that I read, was the one about a 5th grader named Patrick. Patrick at the time of his blog was fifth grader who just wanted to pass and prove his brothers wrong. They had always told him how stupid he was and that he was going to fail. Patrick was on a mission to try harder and become a better student. Patrick received so many encouraging comments and praise from teachers and other kids who could relate with his struggles. I know blogging would open a lot of doors for our students and help us understand their thinking. I believe the comments helped Patrick on his journey to passing 5th grade.

5 comments:

  1. I think you are correct in that students are willing to read from a computer for longer periods of time because they often view it as "playing" instead of working. The kids love to browse and read internet articles that are in this format. One of them I came across and thought was too cute was Duck with a Blog. Check it out at http://duckdiaries.edublogs.org/2nd-grade-duck-theories/
    I thought of you guys hatching the chicks each year, and how you could have the students blog about the process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was amazing what the technology did for Patrick's confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea of kids reading blogs during SSR. I see it as a definite hook to get kids to read without knowing they're reading. That's the best kind of reading. They will end up reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try out the blog reading during my SSR time which will also encourage my students to become bloggers and better writers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of blogging with the ducks. We could have done that same type of thing with our chicks...if only we had known how to do it back a few months ago. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete