Monday, June 15, 2009

Thing #2

I'm very excited about Web 2.0. It is definitely going to have a great impact in my classroom. This is an exciting way to keep students, parents, co-workers, etc... updated on what we are learning in our classroom. Blogging would also give the students a place to share/teach what they have learned and also give homework tutorials. Technology is the new way of learning. We need to start these programs early in our students, before long there will be no text books. Student can explore the visual, audio, and hands on approach to learning using these programs. It is not only important that we provide the tools but show our students how to navigate and find information they need. I want to start out the year with a blog page where parents/students go to read upcoming events, get spelling words, assignments, schedules, and post pictures of the students and their work. I would also like to have my students do podcast of themselves reading books or the stories that they have written. I am very excited about what the future holds for our students.

3 comments:

  1. I also want to start the year off with an online communication tool that would be a weekly newsletter, as well as assignments, and school events. I may do this through a wiki instead of a blog. I am not sure yet. With a wiki you can divide the website into sections for different kinds of information. On a blog it seems it is all one big streaming comment section. I am like you in that I am anxious to learn new things to show the kids. I am glad we are taking this in the summer so we have time to find ways to fit it in next year!

    My blog is http://helmsheadlines.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I would love it if my daughters' classes had a blog that we could follow. It would be a wonderful way for the teachers and students to show us what is going on in the classroom everyday. It is often like pulling teeth to get information out of my kids about what they are doing in class, this would be a wonderful tool. I have to say, I am more of a blogger than a wiki girl, but either one would be a great effort on your part to communicate with your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I am all for teachers setting up blogs/wikis for an online parent/student information resource. My son just finished 8th grade at Kimbrough. His team of teachers had a blog set up. (kmsherohall.blogspot.com) They listed daily homework and items of interest for their curriculum for students and parents. I referred to it regularly to keep up with his assignments and curriculum. As with you, Selena, it's like pulling teeth to get information out of him about school. Dr. Henrie even has a blog. http://lindahenrie.blogspot.com/

    Julia
    http://longhornmom-jjw.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete